Monday, January 29, 2007

The Dangerous Wisdom of Those We Know Well

Yesterday's reading for many in the church told the story of Jesus' less than positive reception among the home folks. After the obligatory head patting -- the nice young man who had been away, now returned amid exclamations about how much he had grown, questions about whether he always wears his hair like that and what exciting job he has managed to land -- Jesus offers a few reflections on their scheduled reading of the day. It didn't go well. The thoughts were not well received. They tried to throw him over a cliff. In the midst of it all, Jesus muses, "No prophet is accepted in the prophet's hometown."

What have we said about experts? A briefcase and an address at least 50 miles away. The mileage requirements may vary, but the conclusion is often sound: distance imputes credibility. Or as someone else has put it, "familiarity breeds contempt." It doesn't always happen this way -- how many organizations prefer to promote from within? -- but the wisdom of our own comes at a discount. At least twice in my ministry I have heard adults from one generation vent frustration over advocacies rebuffed by an older generation with the observation, "But you taught me to think this way. I sat in the Sunday School classes you taught and took to heart what you said. How is that now you oppose this?" Ah! Unruly children.

It all makes me wonder about the unnoticed wisdom lurking under my very nose -- from those I know the best or see most often -- and what it takes to seriously consider an opinion or view I am prone to reject. What does it take for me to recognize and honor a prophet -- home folk, or not?

No comments: