Saturday, February 7, 2009

Grooving on the Flash of Recognition

I like to pretend that I have simply grown more sophisticated. It's more realistic to conclude that I am merely growing out of touch. In my younger years -- even well-beyond the junior high and high school brackets -- the Grammy Awards show was one of the benchmarks of the broadcast season. The live performances, the feeling of vested interest as my favorites were pitted against...the others. I knew them all, and had artistic opinions. I, after all, was a musician myself and kept up with these things.

But in recent years I have recognized fewer and fewer of the nominees and cared about even fewer. The performances became increasingly...er, uh, ummm...silly, and the suspense -- not really knowing the artists, and not really liking their music -- was, shall I say, suspended.

All of which is to say that when I looked over this year's list of nominees I was surprised by the light of recognition. If I can't quite say it is a "bright" light, it is at least to know it as something other than darkness. And I don't merely recognize many of the names; several of them are actually on my iPod. Adele, nominated for "Record of the Year," "Song of the Year," "Best New Artist," "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance" and perhaps others; Duffy, nominated in many of the same categories; Jasan Mraz, John Mayer, Alicia Keys, Death Cab for Cutie -- they are all there in my playlist. And at least I am somewhat familiar with Leona Lewis and Sara Bareilles and Coldplay. And, as if to provide ongoing proof that there is a God, nominated right alongside these newer faces are the likes of The Eagles, James Taylor, Paul McCartney and Robert Plant. Heart be still.

Maybe I'm groovier than I thought -- which, I suppose, is proof positive that I'm not.

That said, maybe I'll watch the broadcast anyway. For old times sake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've *always* been groovy!!