Saturday, December 5, 2009

Considering the Great Beyond

It wasn't the first time I had received such a call, and though something tells me I should take it as a compliment, it nonetheless always makes me flinch. "I'm working with a family who doesn't want anything real religious," the funeral director said; "I thought of you." While it may not be the noblest epitaph for a minister -- "Clergyman to the Non-believers" -- I do believe that everyone deserves a send-off, so I suppose I am a sucker for such requests. I wrote down the name and number and promised to be in touch.

As I mentioned, it wasn't the first time I had worked with a family with these presenting issues. In those other cases, however, all the cautionary prerequisite has really turned out to mean is that the family didn't want something crammed down their throats -- an altar call or hellfire and brimstone or some similar assault of religion at its most intrusive. "But sure," they would eventually suggest, and after I had apparently alleviated their concerns, "a prayer and some scripture would be nice."

Not this time. They were hardly militant about it -- excruciatingly kind, and almost apologetic, they were simply trying to be authentic to their life perspective and experience. Religion had played no significant part in their life together thus far; it seemed to them artificial to tack on a prayer here at the end. As I say, it was a choice born not out of animosity toward religion, but out of integrity with themselves, and since I, too, have some interest in integrity, I acquiescently -- if slowly -- set myself to work.

It was, however, precisely that matter of mutual integrity that created for me some problems. What, after all, is a preacher to say in a funeral that honors theirs while not abrogating mine? There is, after all, already too much syrupy inanity dished out in the name of comfort, and I had no interest in adding to such abundance. Precious little even of that, moreover, has any relevance in a context devoid of theological referents. Exactly what, for example, would the old chestnut, "she has gone to a better place", mean to a person without a concept of heaven? What, I wondered, is the secular equivalent of "God be with you?" And then beyond the funeral, itself, what is there to say at the graveside? How does one speak comfort and completion and ultimately farewell outside the promises of faith? Even the familiar benediction -- "The Lord bless you and keep you..." -- suddenly sounded like a party crasher.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized how theologically ordered I am -- how many of the framing 2 X 4's in my interpretive structure of reality are religious principle and tenet and belief. Withdrawing each one discovered in the process of writing the funeral felt, in a way, like the old game of "Pick Up Sticks" -- wondering, with every one, which would send the whole structure crashing.

An interesting and stretching challenge, then. And so it was that with no small measure of relief and apprehension I finally pressed "Print" and nervously gathered up the papers before hustling over to the funeral home where the family and a full house of guests were waiting.

Since funerals, at least by my calculation, are highly personal, very much in the present, and therefore not particularly portable, I'll spare you the details -- except to report that the family seemed happy, satisfied and appreciative that their wishes were honored and their loved one appropriately feted. One who had been less directly involved in the planning even pulled me aside afterward to clarify that in his own life he had come to a different place in his beliefs, and that he had appreciated the couple of places I had "slipped in" some references to the Divine. While it hadn't been my intent to be surreptitious, I'm glad that he, too, heard something that was helpful.

For my part, I drove away from the graveside grateful that I had been privileged to connect with another interesting family, humbled that I had managed in some way to serve them in a breathtakingly poignant moment, and appreciative of this opportunity that had stretched both them and me into more deliberate reflection and consideration on what is true in a way that is larger than ourselves; what is comforting and grounding and orienting for any circumstances, but especially such as these; and the many places where people of differing views can stand compassionately and supportively together.

For the record, though, when the time comes to plan my service, feel free to say whatever you need to say about me, but then move quickly on to read some scriptures -- maybe even sing a hymn or two -- and above all, pray, knowing that the practice would mean something to me and, more importantly according to my belief system, to the one who first sent me out and is even at that moment welcoming me home.

5 comments:

Terri H said...

This made me sad.Drove me to a prayer. Thanks to God for having me. For giving me the "whatever" that seeks Him. How do people live without Him? I cannot imagine living OR dying without Him. You most likely did a beautiful funeral and as the one person said, God was in there anyway, without you trying.

Anonymous said...

Gods mill grinds slow but sure........................................

Unknown said...

Tim, this is a great post. Thanks for sharing it.

I've often wondered what I would say if I were placed in a similar situation. Like you, my worldview is so thoroughly informed by scripture and Christian thought that I'm just not sure where I would find the words to say if those foundations were denied me.

I remember well a time when I was a college student and the pastor of my home church asked me to run the sound system in our sanctuary during a wedding he agreed to officiate. I'm not sure who the couple was, or how it was that they came to be married in our sanctuary.

At the ceremony, after the pastor gave offered the words of welcome, the groom addressed the congregation. He said that he and his fiancee didn't want a service full of "empty, vacuous phrases" (those were his exact words) and so they had written a service for themselves.

I wondered, in that moment, what "empty, vacuous phrases" meant. What it meant was any reference to God, covenant, family, or basically anything that might expect more of us than we typically expect of ourselves.

So they played a recording of John Lennon singing "Imagine." The bride pledged to help her spouse self-actualized. (Yes, that's really what she said.) He promised to be committed to her until he didn't feel committed to her anymore.

It was all just dreadful. I felt so sorry for this couple, who were so carefully defining themselves against something that they had nothing (as far as I could tell) of substance to say to each other.

I hope that, if nothing else, Tim, the family you helped will remember that they were served well by a minister of the gospel. I hope, as well, that that experience will bring them one step closer to a life that is more than just this life.

Nanette said...

This weekend I heard from Christian friends who were present at that funeral. They commented that it must have been tough for a minister to perform a funeral without being able to use the religious references we are accustomed to drawing upon in such circumstances. But they also observed that they could still detect a deep spirituality to the service, and they were highly complimentary.

It reminds me of the adage to "preach the Gospel at all times ... and to use words if necessary..." The presence of a person who loves God can speak volumes. Sharing the Good News from the core of our being can happen whether or not we verbalize our faith. Actually, I think we all need to "walk the walk" before we earn the right to "talk the talk."

Anonymous said...

Not only did your story bless me, the comments following your story (from believers) also was a blessing ... especially "use words if necessary." I often find myself uncomfortable around people who are not comfortable about a personal relationship with Christ and who do not want to hear it, and this helps me to focus on being present and loving people as sharing the message, too. Our Disciples church has often ministered to the Un-Churched -- in weddings & funerals -- and it seems to me it is truly What Jesus Would Do :) Bless you for your service in His name and love!
-m coleman