Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Wind and Snow and Anticipated Embrace of Winter

There is something cozy about the winter.  I know, it is a coziness that comes with a price.  The wind, just now, is howling, blowing the new-fallen snowflakes like swirling and looping paper airplanes.  It is, I know from puppy breaks outside, bitterly cold -- double-digits, but only barely; neither of us has initiated a trip to the greenhouse for watering or the mailbox to check delivery.  Tir, in fact, has only begrudgingly left the love seat where he has been curled up and lost in a contented snore all morning.  I certainly haven't pushed.  I am no more interested in bundling up and braving the storm than he. 

That said, as much as I have enjoyed the unseasonable mildness and the outdoor walks it has beckoned; as much as I have appreciated the simplicity of movement sans heavy coats and extra time required to assemble and arrange the bundling, I have looked forward to days like this one -- cold, settling, almost paralyzing days viewed from inside the window looking out; appreciating the reassuring hum of the furnace through the duct work, heart beat synchronizing with the flickering in the fireplace; skin indulging the hugging softness of a neglected sweater excavated from the bottom of the drawer; spirit held by the companionable silence too melodic in its own way to violate with the stereo or TV.

I understand that others temporarily migrate out of these kinds of days -- east to Florida, south to Texas or west to Arizona.  I even comprehend why.  The season can take its toll.  But I have looked forward to a day like this.  The holidays and their particular magic are behind us; the decorations have been lovingly and finally stored and the house rearranged to its more typical order.  It is time for the simple descent of winter -- else how would we know to appreciate spring?

And today, it is finally here.

No comments: